Tuesday, January 10, 2012

Tasty Tuesday--Sounds Gross...



...but is oh so good.

Turkey Slaw

See? Sounds gross, right? That's why I didn't want to put the name of this dish in the title. I promise you, if you make this yummy, healthy salad, you won't be disappointed!

I had this salad at my mother-in-law's house, which she bought prepared from her local Publix, and immediately I was trying to figure out how to duplicate it. My Publix here doesn't carry it in their deli, so I started working on finding a recipe that seemed close. And what do you know, I found the recipe on the Boar's Head website. However, I made a few changes to make it a little healthier. I made it for my family when they came to visit and it was a big hit!
This is a great healthy salad to make for lunch throughout the week--filling and tasty.


Ingredients

1 1/2 lb. green cabbage, cored & shredded coarsely
1 lb. Boar's Head turkey breast (not sliced too thinly), julienned
3/4 cup toasted sliced almonds
1/4 cup green onion, diced
3/4 cup rice wine white vinegar
1/2 cup sugar
1/4 cup olive oil (or canola oil)
1 tablespoon sesame oil
1 tablespoon toasted sesame seeds


In a large bowl, toss together the cabbage, turkey, green onions, and almonds.
In a separate smaller bowl, add the sugar to the rice wine vinegar and whisk until the sugar is dissolved.
Whisk in olive (or canola) oil and sesame oil. 
Pour over cabbage mixture and toss to coat.
Sprinkle with sesame seeds.

So, don't judge a book by its cover title, folks. Think outside the box and make this healthy salad for your weekly lunches and you won't regret it!

1 comment:

  1. Ok, so this actually sounds really good to me! I think it would be perfect for lunch during the week. I will have to try it! Have a great weekend.
    XO,
    Hasnnah

    ReplyDelete