Thursday, April 5, 2012

Strawberry Lemon Yogurt Cake

 It's strawberry season here and I couldn't resist picking up a few pints at the produce stand. They were so plump and juicy looking. 


So what did I do with all those yummy strawberries? I made two cakes, not one, two. Is there anything better than strawberry and lemon together? Anything that tastes more like summer in your mouth? I don't think so. I'm going to call this cake "healthy" because it uses Greek yogurt instead of sour cream. Just don't think about the 2 cups of sugar, or 1 cup of butter. The yogurt cancels that out, right? Right. 

The recipe was found here.


Strawberry Lemon Yogurt Cake

1 cup butter, softened
2 cups sugar
3 eggs
3 tablespoons lemon juice, divided
Zest of 1 lemon
2 1/2 cup all-purpose flour, divided
1/2 teaspoon baking soda
1/2 teaspoon salt
8 oz. (1 cup) vanilla Greek yogurt
12 oz. fresh strawberries, diced
1 cup powdered sugar


1.  Preheat oven to 325 degrees. Grease and flour the pan. Sift together the 2 1/4 cup flour (reserve 1/4 for later), baking soda, a salt. Mix in the zest and set aside.
2. Cream the butter and sugar until light a fluffy. Beat in the eggs, one at a time, then stir in 1 tablespoon lemon juice (reserve the rest for the glaze). Alternate beating in the flour mixture and the yogurt, mixing just until incorporated.
3. Toss the strawberries with the remaining 1/4 cup flour. Gently add to the batter.
4. Pour batter into pan and bake for 60 minutes.
5. Allow to cool at least 20 minutes before removing from pan and transferring to a wire wrack. Allow to cool completely before glazing. 

For glaze, whisk together the remaining 2 tablespoons lemon juice and powdered sugar. Drizzle over the cooled cake.

3 comments:

  1. Oh. My. Yummy!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. It was SO good! I ate my extra piece on the way to work this morning! haha :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hello. I'm reading your entries from Japan. I'm very fond of tasting cakes and also baking them. This cake looks so yummy! I have to bake it next Sunday. :)

    ReplyDelete