Monday, December 12, 2011

She Crab Soup

So, I've been meaning to post some pics from our Thanksgiving. I could give you the whole long laundry-list of reasons why this hasn't happened, but I won't bore you.

Here is one recipe from our Thanksgiving. I served it for lunch with crostini, kept warm in a crockpot so everyone could eat when they pleased.

This recipe came from Hamby's catering, who catered our wedding. It's yummy and rich, just as she crab soup should be. This recipe makes a lot, so you might want to cut it in half unless you're making it for a crowd.


She Crab Soup
8 Tbsp. butter
½ cup all-purpose flour
4 cups milk
2 quarts half-and-half
3 ribs celery, grated
1 small onion, grated
1 Tbsp. Worcestershire
2 tsp. Tabasco Sauce
½ tsp. ground mace
1 tsp. salt
½ tsp. pepper
1 cup sherry or to taste
1 ½ pounds crabmeat

Melt butter in a large stockpot. Whisk in flour and cook 4 minutes until smooth and bubbly. Add milk and half-and-half and bring to a boil. In separate pan, sauté celery and onions. Add vegetables to milk mixture and cook 15 to 20 minutes. Add Worcestershire sauce, Tabasco, mace, salt, pepper and sherry. Fold in crabmeat and simmer 5 minutes longer. Do not boil.

*I do not know what mace is, and I never can find it. So, I leave it out. Not sure what I'm missing out on, but it's delish without the mystery ingredient.
*Also, don't even try to "grate" your celery or onion. Buy one of these instead. I use mine all the time. 
Tupperware Chop n' Prep Chef
or you could just use a food processor to chop the veggies finely.



Andddd....here are some long overdue Thanksgiving pics. 
Cranberry Relish

Pecan Cheese Log


fryin' the bird.

not a very good pic..
collard greens, squash casserole, asparagus casserole, fried turkey, glazed carrots, dressing, mashed taters

2 comments:

  1. Love that family pic. I think I need to try the she-crab soup recipe. Oyster roast maybe?? Hmmm....

    ReplyDelete
  2. I just stumbled upon your blog and wanted to say HI!
    I had to bookmark the crab soup recipe! A guy who used to live above where I worked would bring us down a crab bisque from time to time, and I have been looking for a recipe similar since he passed.

    Thanks, and have a great day!

    ReplyDelete